Monday, November 05, 2012

Its my Rookie Season as an by Election Judge – by Pete Doty

This year, for the first time, I have volunteered to be an election judge in Highlands Ranch. Other than voting I have never participated in the process so this is a bit of an adventure for me. I am prepared for a long day…from 5:30 am to 9:30 pm. I cannot go out to lunch, and I cannot turn on a computer or other electronic device while in the polling location (I guess that is like a vacation?). I can read a book (but not on an iPad) during the slow times but it cannot be political in nature as there is no electioneering within 100 feet of the polling place. The hardest thing may be the chairs, typical school folding chairs. So I asked if I could bring my own and was answered that I could. I have an old secretarial chair I will take that is soft(?). I will be working as a electronic poll judge, checking folks in and getting them to the next step in the process. Douglas County provided training for me on the entire process but also specific to my job. It is a very organized and detailed process and the organization is designed so that everyone has the opportunity to vote. There are a huge number of election volunteers here in Highlands Ranch and throughout Douglas County (and the country) who actively participate and make sure the system works as designed. My rookie season hat is off to them…some of who have been active in this non-partisan process for decades as volunteers! I will be at Mountain Vista High School in Highlands Ranch, so if that is your polling place and you have yet to vote, we should see each other. You can follow my regular blog at www.DenverPropertyLines.com As you know I have been a Full Time Licensed real estate broker since 1985. I go to work everyday for you & your friends, learning about our home town! It could be Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Littleton, Castle Rock, Centennial, Englewood, Parker, Elizabeth, Larkspur, Franktown, Kiowa, or anywhere in metro Denver Colorado. Talk to me for real estate advice, properties for sale, multiple listing service, all available at www.DenverRelocation.com. Drop me a note to pete@Denverrelocation.com

No comments: